Birthday Surprises

My Dad's birthday was January 5th. There was so much going on before then with the holidays and the new year starting that we didn't get to do anything for his birthday other than the usual birthday messages and phone calls. Mom decided to have a surprise party for him on January 19th. Emily called me up a week before and said that she was thinking of coming to surprise Mom and Dad. The plan was for her to stay the night at our house Friday night the 18th. 
Well I jumped in on this band wagon of surprise and asked Darin and Christy to come as well. And since Mom's birthday is January 27th we decided to make the party be for Mom as well and have a cake for her and one for Dad. I told Mom I'd bake Dad's cake so he wouldn't see it and know she was planning a birthday dinner for him. Perfect.
Friday the 18th I baked a german chocolate cake for Dad and a cherry chip for Mom. 
Emily and her kids arrived around 6:30.

Saturday the 19th Darin and Christy got here in the morning and Emily and Christy went to work making flowers for the cakes. They are both so talented at this. It's fun to watch.

Darin even got in and made a few. He did pretty good which doesn't surprise me. He does such good detail work when he's working on wood projects that I figured he do well at other things with detail.

I loved the busy work, chaos, chatting, and laughing going on in the kitchen.
Seriously, I loved every minute of this day. Just the excitement in the air was felt.


Emily whipped out some fun tools to make the decorating easier.


The kids joined in and learned how to make flowers.


Darin heard Jaime working in the garage so he went in to help. It's always fun to work when someone's there to work with you. Thanks Darin!


Now we have more stuff up out of the way in it's place on the wall than on the floor.
It'll be nice when we get the shed. Our 3 car garage may actually fit 3 cars!


Back to the real work.


Fondant flowers drying, waiting their time to be useful and displayed on a cake.


Christy working 


While Emily and Christy were working on the cakes I worked at feeding kids.
They had so much fun together. The best of cousins they say. :)


Around 5 p.m. we drove up in 3 cars to my parent's house. Elizabeth was already there. We walked in carrying their cakes and singing Happy Birthday. The look on my mom's face was priceless as she kept seeing more and more of her kids walk in to the room.
Lori showed up shortly after. What parent wouldn't love to be surprised to have almost all their kids home for a birthday?! (We missed you Brian and Summer)
We brought extra mashed potatoes, pork, and jello salad so there would be enough food.
We didn't want to ruin the fun of the evening by Mom stressing there wouldn't be enough for so many people. We gotcha covered, Mom! 

Dad's cake


Mom's cake


Look at all those candles. Lori supplied them.
She was nice and didn't buy 61 candles for dad and 56 for mom.


The grandkids helped blow them out.


Happy Birthday!


I love my parents.


I love getting together with my siblings.


We really do have a lot of fun together.


I love you guys...I love Darin's stance back there too. ;)

Comments

  1. Happy birthday to your parents!

    If you want to do a sewing weekend, lets plan one! Your house or mine, it doesn't matter. If I came that way I could go see my grandpa. If you come this way, pick up Becky Rasmussen on your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the sweetest idea you guys did! Love those last pics too :). The cakes turned out beautiful! That must have meant a lot to your parents to put together something like that for them. You guys have a sweet fam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, are you guys really that short?! I wasn't even standing on anything behind you like when I was younger. Christy had a great time as well. You girls are always fun to hang out with.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For Unto Us A Child Is Born

SURPISE!!!!

The Past Week...