The First Day of School

It doesn't matter how many times the first day of school rolls around or how many kids I have, sending kids off to school is always hard for me. It is fun seeing the girls excited about their new clothes and finding out who will be in their class this year but I don't feel quite the same excitement. 
Last night for FHE Jaime gave father's blessings to the kids before school started. He gave AMAZING and such inspired blessings. Tyler asked for one also even though he had a hard time sitting still for the other 3 to have theirs given. Jaime even gave me a blessing. Even though I'm not going to school (thank goodness) I still can use the love and support that was given in the blessing. 
After everyone received their blessing we knelt down and had family prayer (before treat. Heaven forbid we forget the treat! Aidan was sure to not let us). It was my turn to give the prayer. I cried as I asked our Father in Heaven to protect our children as they are away from our home and out in the world. Being a parent has opened up a whole can of worries for me. I can't even name all the worries I have for my sweet babes. Sometimes I like the idea of homeschooling but for us, it just isn't right. (for so many different reasons.) Then I remember that prophets have told us to be in the world but not of it. So that is another great pleading in my prayers. That I can teach my children the correct principles that when they are faced with the gray matters of the "world" they will know how to decide. Ok, enough of this, it's making me cry. On to the excitement of the day...


I'm home with the boys for the day now. That is until Aidan starts preschool in a few weeks!

Lindsey's first day of 4th grade 8-27-13

Olivia's first day of 2nd grade 8-27-13

Before we left I knelt down with my four little ones in prayer (Lindsey was grateful for it, I could tell.) for just one more chance of letting my girls feel the Spirit before they were gone. I drove them to school today. They plan on riding bikes to school this year but my driving them on their first day is mostly for me. :) I drove into the drop off zone at the school. I received great hugs and kisses and they were gone. I watched them walk together. It wasn't long before I saw some of their best friends come up to them. Awe *sigh* something to help ease Mommy!

I turned back in my seat to drive forward out of the loading zone. I couldn't go because there was a father still in his car, taking pictures of his little kindergarten daughter through the car window. He would drive a little VERY slowly and snap another picture. I watched this little girl who looked so unsure of what to do without her dad. I cried as I watched him take picture after picture and drive slowly as she walked slowly on the other side of the fence watching him. She never did smile for a picture. My heart ached for her and her dad. He finally drove on out. I wasn't upset or anxious to get out of that mad house of a parking lot. 

I know my girls will LOVE their new teachers and enjoy the school year. Olivia already knows what fun to expect because Lindsey has already done it and the outline for the year is the same for Olivia as it was for Lindsey. I love my girls. I'm so blessed to be their mother. They're funny, smart, beautiful, kind, and thoughtful and so much more. 

I've spent my day playing a couple games with the boys and cleaning the house. Aidan was happy to help me clean the bathrooms. Now that my house is clean and it kept me busy so the clock could run at a quick pace, it's just about that time! I'm going to go get Lindsey and Olivia and hear all about their first day. I can't wait!

Comments

  1. Oh, Lisa! I know how hard it is to send the kids to school. You are very wise to build a spiritual base for them to start the day with. I have to do this next week. Oh, summer has gone way too fast.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SURPISE!!!!

For Unto Us A Child Is Born

The Past Week...