That Time of Year

October, that time of year when leaves turn color and start to fall, grape harvest is on, I turn a year older, and we plan a fun weekend getaway! 

Yes I turned Thirty ONE-derful. The prime of life...or so they say. Whoever "they" are, but regardless, I'm feeling great about my life. Wonderful marriage, great kids, healthy, well established, great area to live in, great friends to be around, extended family close by...yeah I'd say I have it pretty good.

On Sunday October 7th, Jaime asked me if I could have anything I wanted, what would I like for my birthday dinner. I said Mexican food sounded great. I thought it was just a question of wonder. On Monday I wasn't feeling up to making myself a birthday dinner, mainly because I made a great dinner on Sunday for Conference and considered that to be my dinner. As I wandered through the kitchen trying to look for something for dinner that'd be simple, Jaime came home with a $5 pizza from Little Ceasar's for the kids and a great Mexican dinner for him and me! It totally hit the spot. And since I didn't want to make myself a cake (I'm not a big cake eater and can pass it up easily) Jaime bought ice cream (I love ice cream...DQ ice cream cakes are the best!) and sundae toppings and invited some neighbors over. We had a good time visiting. 

I received many cards in the mail, gift cards, lots of colored pictures and notes from the kids, and Jaime shocked me with a Cricut Expression 2! ...in September. He bought it for me in September as an early gift since he got a great deal on it and I happened to be with him when he needed to pick it up. :) So on my birthday he and the kids gave me some Cricut accessories and tools to use with the machine. I've enjoyed playing around with it but I know I have a lot to learn to get the maximum use out of it. Aidan calls it the caterpillar and always asks me to cut out footballs for him. He knows how to do the basics on the machine already. Sorry no pics for any of this. I guess I don't think about things like that for my birthday because it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. Oh well. 

Anyhoo, as many of you know, around my birthday it seems to be the time Jaime and I have our annual A.M.T. 
Anderson/Morales Trip. :) 
It's become an annual thing. Seattle one year, Coeur d'Alene another, and this year we went to Portland. It's a time for us to spend with friends and get away from the every day norm. Now of THIS I did get pictures!

Jaime's mom came to our house Friday morning so Jaime and I could head out. She looks forward to our trip this time of year because Marty is gone all day working 12 hour shifts during harvest and spending a couple days with her grandkids gives her something to look forward to instead of an empty house.

 We couldn't pass up the blessing of Burgerville. My new favorite shake...

NW Chocolate cherry.YUMMM!

When we got to Portland we did some Christmas shopping. We're all done with the kids! WooHoo!
After shopping and lots, and lots, of not moving, to barely moving in horrible traffic (I hate Portland traffic. If for some reason we EVER think about moving here, please remind me why I don't want to. Hahaha.) we checked in to our hotel then headed out to meet our Anderson friends at a Moroccan restaurant named Marrakesh.
This cute little restaurant had seating on cushions on the floor around small tables. It was a new experience for us. They bring a kettle of water to pour over everyone's hands to wash them before eating. It was a full 5 course meal. Two of the courses were "family"style and we all ate food off the center plate...with no utensils. Everything was eaten by hand. Thank goodness they supply each guest with a large towel to wipe hands on!

Me and dear Carina

Jaime and me

Jeremy and Jaime
The place was complete with a belly dancer. See her spinning in the back there.


These guys got a kick out of Carina and I telling them we didn't need to tip the dancer.


Yep, all finger food. Even foods you'd expect to have a utensil for.


Yum, dig in Carina!


Just the 4 of us

On Saturday after breakfast we went to graze through Ikea.
Yep graze. As Jaime says, they herd people through Ikea like cattle.


We got there as they opened so it wasn't too bad. We were there about 2 1/2 hours and left just as it was starting to get crowded. We had enough time to browse leisurely and visit along the way.
We spent the afternoon just walking around and going in and out of stores shopping.


Lunch at the Dirty Bird
Our Favorite
We hung out here for a few hours just visiting and watching the BYU/OSU game.
I don't think anyone was ready to leave.


Little Craig got to tag along this time. On our last trip he was in his momma's tummy!
We had a great time but like usual, it doesn't seem long enough.
Some day, maybe someday, we'll get brave enough to take a longer trip and bring all our kids
to join in the fun.
We love you Jeremy and Carina! Thanks for the good times. 


Heading home

I'm so grateful that Diana and Bel are eager to watch our kids so that we can go on our trips with friends. Thank you sooo so much!

Until next year...

Comments

  1. Looks like so much fun! I miss you guys:-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and Happy Happy Birthday! You look way awesome for being 31!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a good birthday and a great trip. I am glad you had a good time with Jaime and your friends. Also glad that you got to enjoy the sun before the rain came. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was so fun! Can't wait til next year :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

For Unto Us A Child Is Born

SURPISE!!!!

The Past Week...