Just Because


October 22 we went to Prosser for Carson Anderson's baptism. As always the kids pick up where they left off with their friends. No problems getting together and hanging out.

After the baptism everyone was eating refreshments. I heard some "Heart and Soul" piano playing and went to see who it was. Alex and Olivia!!

October 26th
Olivia had a fun exercise at her "Activity Day" on Wednesday. The girls in her group all wrote things about Olivia. What a great way for the girls to think of positive things about their friends and let them know how they feel about each other. 

October 28th
I was given a form from the school to update the kids' health information. I decided I should put down Aidan's allergy to cashews. Well that opened up a whole new can of worms. The school nurse called and said I needed to have medicine from Aidan's doctor with a health plan of what to do even thought I told her I just give him Benadryl. He knows he's allergic to it and doesn't like any kind of nut. But that wasn't good enough. So I made an appointment with Aidan's doctor. While we were there he had a physical. Everything looked normal. He's a healthy 8 year old. He was a champ getting his flu shot, hesitant but he did great. Then he had his blood drawn for his allergy test. I was amazed how well he did. The nurse was so good to him too. 
Since he missed lunch at school due to his appointment I took him out to lunch. His choice, of course McDonald's. He was a happy kid!

Well a few days later I get the test results. It says he has a mild allergy to cashews and peanuts. What?! He's had peanuts and peanut butter. He doesn't like them but he's had them. Just this past summer he ate an ice cream drum stick with peanuts. He liked the peanuts on the ice cream he said. He did NOT have any time of reaction. But he was prescribed an EpiPen for precaution. I took it to the school. The nurse said if he has an EpiPen then he's considered to have a life threatening condition. He won't be able to eat in class parties and needs to sit at the nut free table at lunch. This was going too far. So I made another appointment with the doctor for the next day. But the night before Aidan's next appointment I asked him to eat a snickers candy bar. He didn't want to but he I told him it was like a Milky Way bar but with peanuts and I needed to see if he'd have a reaction. I had Benadryl and the EpiPen if for some reason he did have a bad reaction. He ate it. He said it wasn't bad. :) He didn't want another but he didn't think it was gross.
You can probably guess what happened...nothing. He was completely fine. No itchy tongue or throat, hives, etc. So off we went to the doctor the next day. She couldn't believe how the school reacted to Aidan's prescription. She said it was just a precaution. She had even put on his paperwork that it wasn't a life threatening condition but the school wouldn't listen to that if he had an EpiPen. The doctor said I performed the best allergy test. Giving him peanuts and no reaction. Maybe it was a false positive. Maybe it'll develop into an allergy later as he grows, maybe nothing will happen. But if he does have a reaction I don't think it'll be bad. The cashew allergy isn't that bad. He doesn't have any breathing problems. Just hives but the Benadryl starts to clear it up pretty quick. So the doctor wrote up a new health plan. He's been prescribed Benadryl. School nurse can give it to him if he's having a reaction. But Aidan doesn't like nuts so he won't eat anything with nuts and the school doesn't allow nuts in school foods and class parties. In a year or so maybe I'll have Aidan tested again. I really  hope he will outgrow any allergy. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SURPISE!!!!

Living Life Day to Day

The Past Week...